Today we Remember Ronald James Padavona (Ronnie James Dio)
Today in 1942, Ronald James Padavona (Ronnie James Dio) was born in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, United States! Ronnie will always be remembered not only for being the singer of legendary bands such as DIO, BLACK SABBATH (HEAVEN & HELL) and RAINBOW, but also for being one of the nicest rockers to ever exist! He is also the creator of the "devil horns" that all rockers and fans throw on a daily basis when something rocks! In other words, without RONNIE JAMES DIO, HORNS UP ROCKS! would not exist!
Ronnie James Dio (RIP) was born in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, United States. His Italian family lived in Portsmouth until the family moved to Cortland, New York early in his life. He initially played the trumpet and French horn and even recorded several singles with various rockabilly bands when he was a boy. When he was in high school, he joined a band called The Vegas Kings, in which he played the bass guitar. He eventually became the lead singer of this band which changed its name to Ronnie & The Rumblers and finally to Ronnie & The Red Caps.
Fast forward to 1967, when Ronnie Dio and the Prophets disbanded in 1967, when he and Prophets guitarist Nick Pantas started a NEW band called the Electric Elves (in 1969 the names was shorten to Elf). Eventually they went on to become an opening act for Deep Purple while recording three albums. Elf was Dio's first groundbreaking band. As we all know, Dio later became part of Rainbow and Black Sabbath (Heaven and Hell). He also fronted his own band Dio, and was part of a slew of musical projects.
Unfortunately Mr. Dio passed away on May 16, 2010 died in Los Angeles, California at the age of 67 after losing his battle with stomach cancer.
Here are some cool facts about the AMAZING Ronnie James Dio:
- RJD was an Italian-American Heavy Metal vocalist and songwriter.
- He performed with: Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Heaven & Hell, and his band Dio.
- Considered the most powerful singer in Heavy Metal history.
- Ranked as one of the greatest Rock vocalists of all time.
- Credited with popularizing the "devil horns" hand gesture in Metal culture.
- Prior to his death he was collaborating with Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, and Vinny Appice, on a new Heaven & Hell album, which would have been the following to "The Devil You Know", released on April 28, 2009.
- Dio died of stomach cancer on May 16, 2010.
- One of the last songs he recorded was titled "Metal Will Never Die".
Here are a video that we produced in tribute to the amazing RONNIE JAMES DIO:
Photo/Foto: Fin Costello (Redferns)